Have you ever come across the word “Compounding” in your neighborhood pharmacies? Probably not so often, since very few pharmacists offer such service. But they do exist, like the one you are about to meet at Kearney Park Compounding Pharmacy.
What exactly is compounding? Simply, it is the act of creating personalized medications to fit your unique need as a patient. To do this, compounding pharmacists combine and process appropriate ingredient(s) using various tools.
Medications are compounded for a variety of reasons. Most common examples include:
- Dosage Form Modification – Oral drugs can be turned into a liquid, lollipop, gel, cream, etc. for those who can’t swallow, digest, or absorb.
- Tailored Drug/Dosage Combination – We can put together exactly what you need in the right amount in a combination you won’t find anywhere else.
- Availability – You can still get a drug that is discontinued or in short supply.
- Removal of Ingredients (Any Ingredients) – Dyes, Additives, or Preservatives that you are allergic to can be removed. Sugar-free drugs can be created for diabetic patients.
- Cost-Effectiveness – Compounding often cost less since the pharmacist can create a generic version of high-priced brand drug.
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) – To correct disturbed hormone balance for both men and women, the pharmacist offer bioidentical hormones that each individual’s unique body and hormone levels.
- Dental Care – Topical anesthesia and analgesics, mouth rinses containing antibiotics, lollipops for oral sedation, and lip balms for viral lesions are just a few examples of compounding specifically aimed at dental use.
- Veterinary Care – Drugs can be made smaller, bigger, stronger, weaker, tastier, and easier-to-use for animals i.e. Feline, Dog, & Equine.
- Pain Management – We can put together various combinations to overcome Joint Pain, General Pain, Migraines, Cramps, Colitis, Painful Diaper Rash, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and much more.
- Men Prescriptions – Since we are able to customize and create any prescription we are able to fulfill scripts for Testosterone, Erectile Dysfunction, Smoking Cessation, and so on.
- Sport Medicine – Athlete’s Foot, Corns, Callouses, Heel Spurs, & Plantar Fasciitis is just a few things that we are able to help.
- Hospice Compound Ideas – If you know someone that is suffering nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, order, or excessive secretions then compound prescriptions may help.
- Cosmetic & Dermatology Compounds – We offer options to for your cleansers, facial cleansing gels, moisturizers, and anti-aging creams.
- Pediatric Ideas – Here we understand that our your patients are not the best communicators and for this reason we offer Diaper Rash Treatments, Cough, Cold, Earl Infections Oral, Fever, Lice, Colic, Psoriasis, and Eczema to list a few.
In most cases, you will find that a compounding pharmacy is different from that quick-stop, market pharmacies that tend to lack personal touch and caring. Given the nature of compounding, a pharmacist is meant to work closely with patients and physicians in order to meet a particular medical need every time. A more personal relationship with a pharmacist, combined with medicines customized just for you, will mean better compliance and better health; the ultimate goal of every health care provider.